How to Create a Fleet Maintenance Programme: 5 Easy Tips
Updated: Jan 27
Heavy commercial vehicle maintenance in Singapore is an important factor for a safe and efficient fleet.
Keeping a well-oiled forklift business doesn’t stop at the purchasing stage. To ensure the longevity of both your machine-handling equipment and your company, good fleet maintenance is key. To give you a better understanding of how to develop an effective fleet maintenance programme in Singapore, we’ve put together 5 easy steps to start with.
1. Understand the ins and outs of your fleet maintenance. This makes it easier to keep track of your business. Cover basic questions such as:
a. How much does it cost to operate your fleet?
b. How long do downtimes last?
c. How many days in a week is your machine inoperable?
2. Learn the difference between scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.
Scheduled maintenance is preventive and should happen regularly in the form of routine inspections. Unscheduled maintenance usually happens when there are necessary repairs and often leads to downtime. Ideally, you’d like to have more scheduled maintenance to prevent the latter.
3. Draft a checklist of maintenance requirements to make it easier for both you and your suppliers to keep track of scheduled checkups.
4. Involve your employees when creating the programme, especially since they’re the ones spending the most time with your forklifts. Keeping every team member aware and feeling responsible for the programme makes fleet maintenance smoother and more efficient.
5. Keep a paper trail - this includes all relevant records of SMR costs, comprehensive data of your fleet, and the relevant people involved in maintaining them.
If you’re looking for a comprehensive look at the quality and condition of your fleet, Scantruck is your one-stop solution for all genuine commercial vehicle parts and material-handling equipmentneeds in Singapore. With 38 years’ worth of experience in the business, we’ve worked with the best global brands to ensure you get the best value for your money. Give us a call at 6305 6600 for a FREE quote!
PS: Need more tips on maintaining a healthy fleet? This article’sgot you covered!